Let’s do a must-read weekend links fest.
But, before we do, let’s think about this. You know what’s not news right now?
- The Euro debt crisis, which isn’t solved yet.
- The emergency subsidies and outsized profits based on profiteering and building imbalances in our nation’s economy, which isn’t being addressed at all and never will be til it’s too late of course.
- Potential next Black Swan Events, whether another horrific natural/energy disaster, a next leg higher spike in interest rates which destroys any last drop of belief that the Fed actually controls anything.
- Margin contraction in the S&P 500 in general.
- Margin contraction that Google Glass could have on Google’s business model.
- How bad spiking gasoline prices into the end of the summer could drag on the consumer and drive up inflation.
- Dozens of other real issues that only get written about when they blow up and the vast majority of the move has already been made.
Instead, we get these headlines heading into the weekend.
Obama Said Not Ready to Decide on Fed Chief for Several Weeks – The difference between any of the mainstream candidates for Fed head from Yellen to Summers is nil. They are all complicit in and beholden to the sorry system they come from and none will drive real reform.
Cohen Risks Losing Fortune While Keeping Freedom – You know there’s a lot of gray area in the old models that hedge funds were built upon and with which Cohen has made his billions. Meanwhile…
UBS to Pay $885 Million to Settle U.S. Mortgage Suit – There’s nothing gray about the systematic gaming and ongoing illegal actions by these “Too big to prosecute” banks. See the first bullet point for more. Sigh.
Egyptians Gather for Rival Protests – Egypt and the US policy of sending our hard earned taxpayer money to revolving corrupt and violent regimes are real problems and there’s never enough discussion about these geopolitical policies from our Republican Democrat Regime.
Amazon investors may start to get fed up – This is about as bearish a headline as you’ll read this weekend. Emphasis on “may”. Recall we were buying Amazon much lower and while we’ve taken some nice profits on it recently, I’m still holding it.
What it costs to raise a baby royally – Another huge long-time recipient of upward redistribution of wealth from the people, much like the Lloyd Blankfein’s at Goldman and the Jamie Dimon’s at JPMorgan are. I take pride in trying to keep such a deep-rooted acceptance of such a system here in the US. Meanwhile…
No royal reception for struggling Bronx families looking for a home – Sad statement on our society but credit the author for pointing out the extreme hardship for most new moms. That used to be what “liberals” fooled themselves into thinking the government could fix. Conservatives and Liberals of today simply back whatever Republican or Democrat somebody on TV told them was “conservative” or “liberal”.
Barclays Sets Plans to Raise Capital – See bullet point one for more. Sigh.
NAV Premiums of Certain Precious Metal Trusts and Funds – Diversity of Judgement – Great article on trying to strive for objectivity and comprehensive analysis.
Zimmerman trial Juror B29 says ‘Zimmerman got away with murder’ – The racist based baiting anger on twitter is actually somewhat alarming to me. And depressing. Travon Zimmerman is a calculated distraction from corruption, war, and…
Chicago Violence – Huffington Post – There are many families in Chicago that wish their resident President and resident President Advisor Mayor gave 1/100th the attention to their lost loved ones as they’ve given the Travon Zimmerman tragedy. I personally have succeeded somewhat in tuning out all the noise about TZ and have no opinion on the matter.
Mick Jagger Turns 70 While The Rolling Stones Tours Add Up to Billions – Probably a better time to trim than to add when this is a headline on Finance Yahoo!
I’ll have a Cody’s Latest Positions out this weekend. Til then, peace be with you.